Depending on various factors, deterioration of a machine can occur either as “Natural Deterioration” or as “Forced Deterioration”. However, a brief comparison of these two types of deterioration is indicated below:
• It occurs due to continuous usage of machine.
• It occurs because of exposure of machine to normal stresses as per design specifications.
• It occurs as a result of normal wear & tear in spite of proper operation, proper maintenance and proper environmental conditions. That means it occurs without presence of any apparent problems.
• The speed or frequency of natural deterioration can be reduced only by way of enhancing inherent reliability of machine.
• It occurs due to various defects & abnormalities in process and/or machine.
• It occurs because of exposure of machine to abnormal stresses as per design specifications.
• It occurs as a result of abnormal wear & tear due to mal operation and/or bad maintenance and/or harsh environmental conditions.
• Incidences of forced deterioration obviously indicate problems with causes in single or multiple areas. It’s absolutely necessary to find root causes of such deterioration; devise suitable corrective measures; implement them; and finally follow them periodically.